Some considerations to keep in mind when you're deciding whom to tip and how much:
- Budget: You shouldn't feel obligated to spend beyond your means.
- Non-cash gifts: If you need to cut back consider homemade gifts as an expression of thanks.
- Frequency: If you already tip for service throughout the year, you may forego an end of year tip, or offer a more modest holiday thank you.
- Service: Consider the quality and frequency of the service you receive.
- Relationship: Consider your relationship and how long you've been using the service.
Any gift or tip should be accompanied by a short handwritten note of appreciation.
Source: The Emily Post Institute
Copyright 2008 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.