After being named Toy of the Year by Rolling Stone magazine last year, Buckyballs magnetic toys are being recalled on concerns that they could be swallowed and cause intestinal punctures, regulators say.
The recall affects 175,000 Buckyballs High Powered Magnets Sets sold before March 2010 with packaging recommending the toys for “Age 13+,” according to the Consumer Product Safety Commission. Those sold after March of this year have packages that warn consumers to “Keep Away From All Children” and are not being recalled, the agency says.
While most toy packages are eventually discarded, the toys themselves don’t have warnings on them and age recommendations are simply suggestions and can depend on the nature of the individual child, federal guidelines for magnetic toys are strict.
There have been two reports of children swallowing one or more of the magnets, but no injuries were reported, according to the CPSC.
The recalled Buckyballs were sold at toy, stationery, office supply and online stores from March 2009 through March 2010. The CPSC urges consumers to take the toys away from children under 14 and says consumers can return the toys to the company for a full refund.The toys were listed on MainStreet’s roundup, Smart Toys Kids Will Love, as a toy for older kids as well as adults.
Small toys generally aren’t recommended for younger children who might put them in their mouths and potentially choke on them, but small magnetic toys are prohibited from being sold to children younger than 14 due to the risk that more than one being swallowed could lead to perforation of the intestines.