Dated: July 21, 2010
Questions or comments regarding this policy should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The websites covered by this policy are: TheStreet, MainStreet.com, Stockpickr.com, Rate-Watch.com and BankingMyWay.com.
Information Gathered and Tracked by TheStreet
We gather two types of data about our users: personal information and tracking information.
Personal information is provided by users when registering as a member of TheStreet, our free flagship site, when registering as a subscriber to one of our premium subscription services, and voluntarily at certain other points, such as entering contests or completing surveys. We will always provide a secure area of our sites for you to enter your information, but if you prefer, you may talk offline to a customer service representative and provide the required information by email at members@TheStreet.com, or by telephone at (866) 321-TSCM , between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m. EST.
Registering for Membership on TheStreet
Currently, we do not require users to become members of TheStreet in order to have access to the free commentary, analysis and news available on TheStreet.com. However, if you would like to receive one or more of our free email newsletters, comment on articles, access our free portfolio tool or use certain other parts of our websites, we require you to register here to become a member.
In order to register, you will have to supply us with your email address and choose a unique User Name and Password. You will be required to verify your email address by clicking on the activation link in the Welcome Letter that will be sent to you upon your submission of a completed registration form.
Subscribing to Premium Services
If you would like access to one or more of our premium subscription-based services, you first must register as a member of TheStreet as described above. Then, on the subscription registration page for the premium service you are interested in, you will need to supply us with the information specified to activate your free trial or paid subscription. This may include credit card or other payment account information which we maintain in encrypted form on secure servers.
Other Personal Information Collection:
· Portfolio Tool - We provide a free portfolio tool which registered members of TheStreet can use to stay current on stocks in their portfolio. Participant’s portfolio information is kept confidential.
· Blogs - We offer blogs featuring running commentary throughout the trading day by some of our most popular contributors. These blogs allow subscribers to respond to a blogger’s commentary or to another subscriber’s post. Access to some blogs requires a paid subscription to one of our premium services. We urge and encourage participants posting comments on the blogs to include their full name in any comment and to disclose any positions held in securities they discuss in any comment. Please note that information submitted to the blogs will be available for any user of that service to read, and is no longer private.
· Surveys/Polls - At certain times, you may be asked to participate in surveys, which are generally aimed at obtaining general information, for example, your investment experience or your reaction to a particular article. Because information obtained in these surveys is connected with individual subscribers and is used internally or by third-party partners to better market our services, participation is voluntary. In addition, some columnists will on occasion take polls of their readers. Such polls are solely for the editorial use of the individual columnists, and participation is voluntary.
· Contests and Sweepstakes - We may offer contests or sweepstakes in which certain personal information is required for registration, for purposes of verifying the entrants’ identities and notifying the winners. If the contest or sweepstakes is being administered or sponsored by a third party, this information will be disclosed to that third party. However, entrants may select contest names distinct from their User Names, and the information is not connected with their User Names.
Tracking information is automatically collected about all visitors to our sites. This information consists of both individual and aggregated tracking information and is automatically gathered using “cookies.” A cookie is a small data file containing information, such as a user’s login name, that is written to the user’s hard drive by a web server and used to track the pages visited.
In addition to cookies placed by TheStreet or its agents, as described above, advertisers and third-party advertising vendors, including Google, that serve ads onto our web sites may use their own cookies or other tracking technologies. We cannot be responsible for the privacy policies or practices of any such advertisers and vendors. Additionally, such third party advertising vendors, including Google, show our ads on sites on the Internet. These companies utilize certain technologies including cookies to deliver targeted advertisements and marketing messages and to collect anonymous information about your visit to our sites and other web sites. If you would like more information about this practice or to opt out of having this information used by companies that are part of the Network Advertising Initiative to provide targeted ads, please visit http://www.networkadvertising.org/optout_nonppii.asp.
USE OF THE INFORMATION
· To enhance users’ experiences on our sites, including the display of customized content and advertising;
· To improve our content;
· To notify visitors about updates to our web sites;
· To maintain and improve our websites; and
· To ensure the technical functioning of our web sites.
TheStreet does not sell or disclose personal information about you described above to with other people or nonaffiliated companies, except to provide you with products or services, when we have your permission, or under the following circumstances:
· In response to subpoenas, court orders, or legal process, from law enforcement agencies or state and federal regulators;
· We provide the information to our subsidiaries and affiliated companies;
· We provide the information on a confidential basis to nonaffiliated companies we engage as contractors or agents to perform services for us, such as maintaining software, sending direct mail or administering a sweepstakes or contest. Information will be shared with such contractors only to the extent reasonably necessary for them to perform services on our behalf, and pursuant to confidentiality obligations;
· We may disclose all the information we collect as described above to other companies such as direct marketers to perform marketing services on our behalf, or to third parties with whom we have joint marketing agreements;
· We may share with third parties certain pieces of aggregated, non-personal information, such as the number of users who clicked on a particular link or how many users clicked on a particular advertisement. Such information does not identify you individually;
· If you are a registered member of TheStreet, we use your email address to send you free email newsletters containing selected stories, market information, advertisements and links to our sites. You can select which free newsletters you would like to receive or remove yourself from our free newsletter delivery list at any time by visiting the Communication Preferences page under Your Account or contacting our customer service department by email at email@example.com or by telephone at (866) 321-TSCM , between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m. EST;
· If you are a subscriber to premium services, we use your email address, postal address or fax number, as applicable, to deliver our premium products and services. You can view your account information at any time by visiting the Your Account or by contacting our customer service department by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by telephone at (866) 321-TSCM , between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m. EST; and
· We may from time to time send you special offers and advertisements for products or services offered by third parties. If you do not wish to receive third party offers and advertisements, please change your settings on our Communication Preferences page under Your Account, or contact our customer service department by email at email@example.com or by telephone at (866) 321-TSCM , between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m. EST.
CORRECTING AND UPDATING THE INFORMATION
TheStreet offers to its members the ability to correct or update online the information we collected during registration by visiting the Your Account page. You may also contact our customer service department by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by telephone at (866) 321-TSCM , between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m. EST.
TheStreet limits access to personal information about you to those employees whom we determine need access to that information to provide products or services to you. We maintain physical, electronic and procedural safeguards that comply with federal standards to guard your personal information. However, no security system is impenetrable. We cannot guarantee the security of our servers, nor can we guarantee that information that users supply will not be intercepted while being transmitted to us over the Internet.
YOUR INDEPENDENT RELATIONSHIPS WITH OTHER COMPANIES
Questions or comments regarding this policy should be directed to email@example.com. TheStreet reserves the right to modify this policy.