Your State Tax Extension Rules, From Hawaii Through Maryland

By Elizabeth Rosen

NEW YORK ( — Do you need to file a state income tax extension? While it’s fairly simple and streamlined to file a federal tax extension, state extensions vary depending on where you live. Because of this, we’ve compiled a list of where to go for each state if you need a little bit more time on your taxes. (For the first part of this list, covering Alabama through Florida, click here.)


The state of Hawaii will grant you an automatic six-month tax extension if you cannot meet the filing deadline for your state income tax return. You do not need to file anything with the Hawaii Department of Taxation to get a tax extension unless you owe state income tax.

Hawaii state tax extensions are granted automatically unless an additional tax payment is owed.

You are deemed to have an approved Hawaii tax extension as long as the following four conditions are met:

  • 100% of your properly estimated state tax liability is paid by April 20
  • Your state tax return is filed within the six-month extension period
  • You include full payment for any tax (not already paid) with your state tax return
  • You are not bound by court order to file a state tax return on or before the given deadline

If you have to make a state income tax payment by April 20 to satisfy the first condition above (requiring 100% payment of your estimated tax liability), submit Hawaii Tax Form N-101A (Application for Automatic Extension of Time to File Hawaii Individual Income Tax Return) with your payment to the Hawaii Department of Taxation. Form N-101A should only be used if you are requesting a state tax extension and you are making a tax payment for the balance due with the filing of Hawaii Tax Form N-11, N-13, or N-15.