NEW YORK (MainStreet) Potheads have evolved since the '70s although you'd hardly know it by the way they're sitting on the couch giggling (known as "couch-lock"). Back in the day, it was a curse to get seeds in your stash, but you consider yourself lucky these days of aeroponics and medicinals to find a seed of your favorite strand. If you're considering hits from the bong, here's a quick run-down on the basics of marijuana culture so you look like you know what you're talking about:
- Massachusetts Blazes a Trail for Testing Cannabis
- Will Marijuana Economy Cause Addiction Boost?
- Marijuana Opposition: Patrick Kennedy's SAM Issues Colorado 4/20 Report
- Weed Dealers at Suburban Philadelphia Prep School Highlight Drive for Cheap, High-Class Pot
- Morgan Stanley Says GWPH Pot Stock Is Legit
Metric vs Standard
Drugs are second only to cooking for their ability to teach metric-standard conversions. You'll notice in the media, large quantities of cocaine ("bricks") are normally referenced by the kilo, whereas marijuana is referenced by the pound. When purchasing at the dispensary, retail store or independent street vendor, you'll hear common terms being thrown around:
- Gram One gram of marijuana. This will normally be one nugget, known as a "nug."
- Eighth One-eighth of an ounce (coke/crackheads and other powder users say "eightball" and call a 16th oz. a "teener," so if you hear those terms, you've met a gateway drug keymaster.)
- Quad One-quarter of an ounce.
- Twenty sack $20 worth of whatever they have normally 2 grams of sticky-icky, or 9 grams of regs.
Regs, and Other Grades
Regs doesn't refer to regulations (although we'll cover that in a moment). Smoking marijuana is divided into two levels of potency; there's the regular grade, called "regs" or "dirt" and the higher grade that's referred to as "medicinal," "dank," or "chron" (a nod to pharmaceutical musician Dr. Dre and his protégé Snoop Doggy Dogg, n.k.a. Snoop Lion).