BOSTON (MainStreet) -- Icky.
Sometimes it takes a childish word to do the trick.
We've looked at companies that build revenue with "sleazy" tactics. Though a couple of those companies return, "icky" is different from "sleazy." It's not that any of the businesses on this list are doing anything wrong, necessarily (although you'll see at least one is accused of that) -- the icky index looks more more at vibe than practice.
These are places that, after visiting them, you feel like you need a shower. The places you may need to patronize for a gift or perhaps even for yourself, but you hope a neighbor doesn't see you leaving. The places that give you a feeling of dread or guilt.
- How to Avoid Disaster With a Store Credit Card
- Here's How to Stay Within Your Budget This Black Friday Weekend
- Spend Thanksgiving Day In Shopping Mode? More Americans Are
- Loyalty Programs and Your Small Business: Which Ones Work?
- 'Hidden Price' of Business Is Paid by You, Making a Customer Service Complaint
Our rundown of the five ickiest shopping experiences: