- Step 1: Grip the old knob and pull it from the knob shaft gently but firmly.
- Step 2: Check to ensure the metal or plastic insert of the knob remains in the knob, not on the shaft.
- Step 3: Press the new knob onto the shaft (some knobs screw into place.) A knob or dial that screws in is generally used when the function of the knob is a push or pull as opposed to a turn. For these types you will screw the dial on and off instead of sliding.
9. Changing a handle
Believe it or not, changing an appliance's handle is slightly different. Here are Ash's steps:
- Step 1: Before you start, check to see how the old handle is attached. There will be at least two screws holding the handle onto the appliance. In some cases, there may be a keyhole slot as well.
- Step 2: Remove the screws and remove the old handle gently to avoid damaging or scratching the door.
- Step 3: Replace the handle, starting with the keyhole slot if there is one, followed by the screws.
- Step 4: Secure the screws tightly.
10. Clean out those closets
And a final DIY project that doesn't require any tools or experience: Cleaning out your closets.
"While shoving everything into a closet has been your go-to clean-up plan since your teen years, potential buyers will undoubtedly look behind every door in your home. Keep bedroom, linen closets and storage spaces neat and tidy to avoid any embarrassing surprises," advises Sure Fit creative director Sheryl Boltze.