Wells Fargo has $22.4 billion in student loans on its books not chump change but only 1.5% of its total assets. It pays shareholders a 2.64% dividend of $1.20 per share.
Other private lenders include the First Marblehead Corporation, PNC Bank, RBS Citizens, and SunTrust Banks. When it comes to student loans, Uncle Sam is by far the biggest bag holder.
- Post-9/11 GI Bill Was a Windfall for For-Profit Colleges: Senate Committee
- Discover To Bolster Student Loan Offering With Branded Credit Cards
- How to Finance a Four-Year Degree with a Credit Card
- FAFSA Snafu: Student Aid Applicants Could Get Jobbed By Coding Glitch
- Obamacare Scare: Court's Rule May Lead to Higher Price in States with Federal Insurance Exchange
Written by John Sandman for MainStreet