So this is where I leave you. I am no expert, I am just a 20-something woman who tries her best to stay on top of her nutrition, while balancing a busy schedule and a tight budget. This lifestyle takes a lot of work to succeed, but the rewards are always more than enough motivation to keep me going.
5 of my favorite Paleo blogs:
Grocery List and Approximate Prices*:
- Organic, cage-free eggs, 2 dozen: $8.00
- 2 lbs. lean ground turkey, $9.00
- 2 lbs. lean ground beef, $10.00
- 2 pkg. of boneless chicken breasts, $9.00
- 3 avocados, $5.00
- 1 head cauliflower, $1.50
- 1 head broccoli, $1.50
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, $1.50
- 2 tomatoes, $2.50
- 1 yellow onion, $1.50
- 5 organic sweet potatoes, $10.00
- Ground turkey stuffed sweet potatoes (recipe courtesy of PaleOMG, http://paleomg.com/loaded-turkey-stuffed-twice-baked-sweet-potatoes/)
- Egg muffin cups, which can be made with any combination of meats and veggies (http://whole9life.com/2010/10/stm-spinach-muffins/)
- Burgers wrapped in lettuce and topped with tomato slices, either fresh or sautéed onion, and a fried egg, with a baked sweet potato (or homemade sweet potato fries!) on the side (http://nomnompaleo.com/post/6172268400/oven-baked-sweet-potato-fries)
- Grilled chicken breast with roasted broccoli and garlic cauliflower "mashed potatoes" (http://nomnompaleo.com/post/1657598867/best-make-ahead-side-garlic-cauli...)
- Another burger variation with the leftover ground beef/ground turkey (http://civilizedcavemancooking.com/entrees/beef/avocado-stuffed-burger/)
*Grocery prices based out of Long Island, NY.
**Fresh, organic produce is always optimal. Organic, grass-fed meats are optimal as well. If these are available, I try to purchase them as often as possible. If they're not within budget, I try to purchase the highest quality of all products that I can afford.
***Meal plans. I do not plan my meals by writing out "breakfast, lunch, and dinner" every day of the week. I make what I'm in the mood for at the time, with the foods that I have. I do, however, jot down meals that I want, and make sure that I purchase the foods that are required.