NEW YORK (MainStreet) Even for older American, the biggest health care spenders in the nation, health care costs amount to only 14% of all households that use Medicare, according to the Kaiser Family Foundation. For families with two or more children, health care costs can eat up to 20% of the household budget, but that still leaves 80% in household obligations such as housing, food, taxes and transportation.
So why would you leave a job if you got better health care coverage?
- VA Hospitals Facing Possible Privatization and FBI Criminal Investigation
- Social Security Disability Fund Faces Depletion in 24 Months
- Medicare Costs Continue to Rise, With the Elderly Shouldering the Brunt of Expenses
- Safe and Cost Effective Ways to Prevent Fleas and Ticks on your Pets
- Obamacare Is Not Doomed
Sure, you may cut your household health care bill by a few percentage points and get moderately better care, but you still have to pay the rent and fill the fridge, let along pay for college costs and keep the lights on every month.
But those are all surmountable issues to a large segment of the population, according to Securian Financial Group.
The firm issued a survey this year showing 40% of employed Americans (using a survey base of 767 respondents) "would leave their jobs if they could buy health insurance on the open market that is comparable to the out-of-pocket cost and coverage they currently have through their employers."
When you're skittish about leaving a job because you would lose health insurance, that's called "job lock." Now many Americans see an opportunity with the passage and implementation of the Affordable Care Act to leave a job, knowing their health care needs are covered.